[Gdal-dev] RE: shaded relief utility (DIY)

Ethan Alpert ealpert at digitalglobe.com
Tue Dec 13 13:59:59 EST 2005

Now the question of how to make closed vector contours from the shaded
relief output. The reason I ask this is how I think demis.nl does it.

http://www.demis.nl/home/pages/wms/demiswms.htm

Converting to a vector contour set and overlaying partially transparent
layers on top creates quite an aesthetic look with the added advantage
when you zoom in it doesn't get grainy.

I've use NCAR Graphics to contour the output of the shaded relief cpp
sent out yesterday (using gdal_translate to convert to netCDF) and it
looks great the problem is it's not a shapefile and can only be viewed
in NCARG graphics. Anyone know of any filled contour utilities that
return polygons which I might be able to translate back into the proper
projection?

-e