[Gdal-dev] shaded relief utility

Ethan Alpert ealpert at digitalglobe.com
Tue Dec 13 15:20:46 EST 2005

One way to accomplish this is to color a vector topo set and overlay it
with partial transparency over a grey scale hill shade relief.

I believe this is how demis does it. Check out the map server below.
Turn off all layers except hillshading and topography. Zoom in to an
area and toggle one of those two layers. You'll see what I'm talking
about.

http://www.demis.nl/home/pages/wms/demiswms.htm