[Gdal-dev] shaded relief utility

jluis jluis at ualg.pt
Tue Dec 13 16:43:22 EST 2005

Ethan Alpert wrote:

> Well I used NCAR Graphics, however there's no way to get the contours
> out of NCAR Graphics. Hence my earlier email asking if anyone has seen
> utilities for closed vector contours. Nearly every contouring
> application I've found does not produce closed polygons but just iso
> lines except NCAR Graphics. Unfortunately NCAR Graphics output is a CGM
> metafile.
>
> They do have a way of dumping text from the CGM file which I've written
> a perl script to parse and create a shapefile but the shapefile is still
> in the CGM's integer coordinate system. Even so this is all more steps
> than there should be.

Hi,
That can be accomplished with Matlab.
My application has all its needs to implement it (and it reads all GDAL recognized DEMs),
including the possibility of giving transparency to polygons.

However, there are some issues you must be aware of.
- Matlab is not known by its performance.
- It consumes a LOT of memory.
- I have not yet implemented coordinate projections

The application I'm referring is at
w3.ualg.pt/~jluis/mirone

Give it a look and tell me if you would be interested that I do this improvement

Joaquim Luis