[Gdal-dev] RE: GDAL, and C# Access

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Fri Dec 30 20:40:53 EST 2005

This stuff looks great! I wonder if anyone working on the SWIG C#
bindings could comment on the relative difficulty of getting those up
and running, compared to maintaining this kind of hand-rolled interface?
>From my own point of view, SWIG is a bit of a mystery, and having just
failed to get them to compile, I'm somewhat inclined to hack something
together using this approach for the time being, at least until someone
with greater Swig/C# knowledge fixes things...

Paul and Morten's work is a great start, though if we're really going to
put something together that is of general use to other developers, I
might suggest a few naming changes. For instance, FWTools is just one
particular distribution of GDAL, so it doesn't quite make sense to me to
use that as the primary namespace - I'd prefer "Gdal". Similarly, using
a class called Gdal to map to the GDALDataset class doesn't feel quite
right to me either. Why not Gdal.Dataset? Similarly, for
Gdal.RasterBand, Gdal.Driver and so on for the other main GDAL object
classes. In general, I think it would make sense to stick to the
existing C++ organization of GDAL when mapping to C# classes. Morten -
what do you think? The core GDAL C++ classes are listed at:

http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/annotated.html

I'd like to help out on this if I can - obviously there's a lot of
critical functionality missing right now, such as all the RasterBand and
RasterIO stuff. I've been using GDAL and C++ for many years though I'm
relatively new to C#.

Cheers,

Sy

From: Morten Nielsen <mn <at> blominfo.dk>
Subject: RE: GDAL, and C# Access
<http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3cD0B3429CEB2C4A4C82F2E412CD5DB9C66E860B%40kernen.blomkbh.dk%3e>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gis.gdal.devel
<http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.gdal.devel>
Date: 2005-12-23 13:14:32 GMT (1 week, 12 hours and 10 minutes ago)

Hi Paul

Great work on the .NET wrappers. I decided to take it a step further and
putting it all in some nice classes, so you won't have to worry about
pointers, disposing objects etc. I think a lot of .NET developers would
like that approach. I put the code example for download here:
     http://www.iter.dk/dotnet/gdal/gdal_test.zip

I added some code-comments copied from the gdal website as well, so you
will have intellisence on most of the methods.

Best regards
/Morten