[Gdal-dev] Driver Implementation API - IReadBlock or IRasterIO

Robert J Farmer r-farmer at jtboyd.com
Wed Feb 2 13:36:20 EST 2005

Hello!

I am trying to develop a driver implementation for a propritary raster
format.  Unfortunately, I am struggling with a few key concepts with the
GDAL API.

The raster format contains a header followed by two bands of data which are
pixel-interleaved (i.e.. B1P1, B2P1, B1P2, etc)  Band 1 contains float
values, band 2 contains unsigned short values -- so both are 4 bytes long.

I believe that I should implement the IRasterIO interface (actually override
it with BlockBasedRasterIO) to efficiently read the raster.  But what about
the IReadBlock interface, do I need this?

I am unsure, when to implement IReadBlock and/or IRasterIO.  Any guidance
would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob