[Gdal-dev] gdal --with-netcdf troubles

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at pf.pl
Thu Feb 17 17:57:53 EST 2005

Folks

I'm having problems with building gdal --with-netcdf.

How should I proceed? I can't install netcdf (3.5.1) alone because it claims
it is in conflict with already installed hdf4. And when I try to use the
netcdf components which came to my system from this hdf4 (4.2r0), I get an
error like below:

./configure --with-hdf4=/usr/local --with-libz=internal --with-png=internal
--with-libtiff=internal --with-geotiff=internal --with-jpeg=internal --with-gif=internal
 --with-geos=yes --with-netcdf=/usr/local/lib

checking for FMEObjects... no
checking for SDreaddata in -lmfhdf... no
checking for SDreaddata in -lhdf4... no
checking for SDreaddata in -lmfhdf... no
checking for SDreaddata in -lmfhdf... no
configure: error: HDF4 support requested with arg /usr/local, but neither
hdf4 nor mfhdf lib found

But - when I don't specify --with-netcdf=... then gdal builds OK with hdf4
support:

checking for FMEObjects... no
checking for SDreaddata in -lmfhdf... no
checking for SDreaddata in -lhdf4... no
checking for SDreaddata in -lmfhdf... yes
checking for jpc_decode in -ljasper... no

Not that I need netcdf badly, but I got puzzled and would like to sort it
out. Besides - why does gdal complain about hdf4 when it's all about netcdf
actually?

Maciek