[Gdal-dev] Memory leak related with reference counting

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 23:24:03 EST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 22:36:03 +0100, Marek Brudka <mbrudka at aster.pl> wrote:

> But for any serious application it is better to crash it than to allow
> to leak silently. This speeds up the developement.
> I can try to remove this bug and send you a patches, but unfortunatelly
> there are no regression tests in GDAL
> to verify if I did not destabilized other parts of GDAL :-(
> Hmm, it seems GDAL needs some regression or unit tests..

Marek,

There are substantial regression tests but they are
miles from being comprehensive.   I agree that
crashing would be fine if I could be comfortable that
i could trigger all crash situations and correct them
before the next release but due to the non-comprehensiveness of the
test suites this is
impossible to ensure.

The test suites can be checked out from the same
repository as gdal with the name "gdalautotest".

There is a run_all.py script in the extracted directly that
will run the full suite.  You will need to have Python
bindings for GDAL build and properly installed for this
to work.