FW: [Gdal-dev] GML and GDAL

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:54:56 EST 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:03:17 -0500, Clay, Bruce <bclay at ball.com> wrote:
> My thought was to use XML (since everyone is soooo crazy about it these
> days) messages either through a local pipe or a network socket as a
> control mechanism.  Since GML is a defined standard I was thinking of
> using that.  I have not had time to go through the 600 GML page document
> (though I am in the process of doing so) to see if it can be used this
> way.

Bruce,

Well, GML has no specific support for all the specialized control
information you will need to communicate between your interface
and backend.  You could develop an application schema that
addresses this, still utilizing GML features for geographic information.

But Frankly, if I was you I think I would just roll my own XML
format.   This isn't a type of XML likely to be widely used - for
which interchange would be important.

> Is there a better standard protocol for doing such thing that will allow
> the GIS tools to pass control and data messages or can GML be used that
> way?

Well, GML could be used that way ... it's just a bit of an odd fit.
There are various protocols for invoking remote procedures with
XML control messages (ie. XML-RPC and SOAP) that might be
applicable to your purpose.  I believe they are mainly intended for
a web services context though.