[Gdal-dev] Autodesk DWF library

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 19:33:09 EDT 2005

> FYI -- wonder if this would be useful for inclusion as an OGR
> supported format?
>
> ..Tom
>
> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5520675

On the DebianGIS mailing list Steve Halasz pointed out that there is a
Google Summer of Code project to add DXF/DWF support to Inkscape:
  http://inkscape.org

There was also a question about Autodesk's license- Steve wrote:

"I'm not well versed in these things, but this clause may not meet the
Debian Free Software Guidelines:

1.1.1 (a) Use the Licensed Software for development, research, internal,
educational, or commercial purposes;

I think it may discriminate against fields of endeavor not explicitly
listed here. Can a non-profit use it?"

Before this release from Autodesk, DXF support is/was currently only
well supported outside AutoCAD by the non-Free (cost-free but binary
only after registration) OpenDWG library:  http://www.opendwg.org

It's a common request by GRASS users to read DXF format, and we have
code that will use the OpenDWG library, but due to both OpenDWG's and
GRASS's licenses we can't distribute the library or a binary of the
interface module. Got a bug report yesterday wondering about this.

Of course is it up to Frank & whoever would do the work to decide if it
is appropriate to add DXF to OGR or leave as a stand-alone app.

2c,
Hamish