[Gdal-dev] gdal and mac

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon May 9 00:08:39 EDT 2005

On 5/8/05, James E. Hopper <JAMES.E.HOPPER at saic.com> wrote:
> I am working on creating a mac framework based version of gdal.  i
> havent used the gdal tools before so i wanted to test the framework
> version out.  is there a test suite of images etc that i can use to
> validate that the framework version works like the library version
> created with make?

James,

There is a python based test suite available at:
   http://www.gdal.org/dl/gdalautotest-1.2.6.tar.gz

If GDAL is properly built with python support, just go into the
unpacked directory, and run the "run_all.py" script.

> for instance if i use gdal_translate to convert a geotiff to jpeg i get
>
> gdal_translate -of JPEG  1_10K_e16_0.tif temp.jpg
> Input file size is 4608, 7680
> ERROR 4: Failed to open temp.jpg.pam to read.
>
> the output jpeg is fine, but what is a pam file and why am i getting
> a failure?

GDAL is currently in some chaos as "PAM" support is added.  You
should consider packaging GDAL 1.2.6 unless you have a specific
need of desire to have the latest and greatest.