[Gdal-dev] Java library for reading ESRI shapefiles?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 8 18:33:59 EST 2005

On 11/8/05, Pete Nagy <Peter.Nagy at vexcel.com> wrote:

> I'd like to see gdal wrapped in java.  How hard would it be to swig it?
> The python wrappers were initially created with an old version of swig,
> right?

Peter,

The answer is that it is a fair amount of work to do a good
SWIG binding for GDAL and OGR.  There is the start of one
already under the gdal/swig tree, but it is quite incomplete.
In particular it needs typemaps and some other glue for various
things.

The Java works similarly to c# which I have also run into some
challenges with.

There is a manually prepared Java binding for GDAL prepared
by the gvSig team that is useful though it is still my hope to
prepare "official SWIG generated bindings" at some point.  It
would be helpful to have a Java SWIG Binding champion to
pursue those bindings.  The GDAL SWIG bindings that are
working well now (Ruby, Python and Perl) all have a champion
ensuring they are complete.