[Gdal-dev] Oracle-bindings

Stephan Holl sholl at gmx.net
Wed Nov 16 09:26:29 EST 2005

Hello Bart,

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:20:05 +0100 "Bart van den Eijnden"
<BEN at Syncera-ITSolutions.NL> wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> AFAIK Oracle accepts connections from within the same network by
> default. Is port 1521 not blocked by a firewall by any chance? Can
> you telnet to it? I had problems with the Windows XP firewall when
> trying to connect to an Oracle database in my internal network.

I can telnet to the oracle-port 1521. Everything should be OK.

> If you have a full Oracle client installed, there is a utility called
> tnsping which you can use to try and ping the database server.

No I do not have the full client installed. Perhaps I should grab them
from oracle and retry.

> Otherwise, try and use a tnsnames.ora file. Make sure you have the
> environment variable TNS_ADMIN set to the directory in which the
> tnsnames.ora file resides. You then connect using user/pwd at tnsname.
>
> Example tnsnames.ora file:
>
> PORCL =
>   (DESCRIPTION =
>     (ADDRESS_LIST =
>       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = P0676)(PORT = 1521))
>     )
>     (CONNECT_DATA =
>       (SERVER = DEDICATED)
>       (SERVICE_NAME = PORCL)
>     )
>   )

OK, thanks for the pointer, but still no luck.
export TNS_ADMIN=/home/holl/software/oracle
cat /home/holl/software/oracle/tnsnames.ora
ORACLESP =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.4)(PORT =
1521)) )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = oraclesp)
    )
  )

ogrinfo OCI:user/pw at oraclesp
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `OCI:user/pw at oraclesp' with the
following drivers. -> ESRI Shapefile
  -> UK .NTF
  -> SDTS
  -> TIGER