[Gdal-dev] Hardware for serving lot's of Raster

Shoaib Burq (VPAC) sab at isis.vpac.org
Sun Nov 20 18:10:28 EST 2005

Hi,

I am in the process of spec'ing out some hardware for serving ~500GB of
hi-res bathymetry data via mapserver. Having never done this before I am
looking for some guidance regarding what to look for in the hardware
design. I might be using ka-map and precache the tiles; Updates are not
very frequent.

Obvious concerns are:
1. Performance,
2. Security,
3. Backup,
4. Portability (if we ever need to change the server's location),
5. Cost (we have a relatively healthy budget)

I had a read of the documentation from UCL's ICEDS project but besides
stating the use of RAID it says little else.

Thanks for any suggestions.

chrs
Shoaib Burq