[Gdal-dev] Suggestion about project on Pocket PC

Alper Dinçer alperd at ce.metu.edu.tr
Tue Nov 22 06:29:27 EST 2005

Hi,

I am a new member, I have a master thesis about showing satellite images
with road index on pocket pc with local data.

I choose the .Net compact Framework (CF) platform with C#. I have started
the project 2 months ago, but I still don't have idea about how to do the
project. Let me explaing the gaps of my project. The satellite images are
approximately 2 - 10 MB JPEGs. The problem is image size are too big for
pocket PCs.

First I thought about tiling the image like google maps or Ka-map, but it is
very hard to implement on .NET CF without using a mapping server.

Then I searched for reading some part of images, I found JPEG2000 has a
property of Region of Interest (ROI), but I didn't find a library or API for
.NET CF.

Now let me ask my questions :

1-       Which type of image (TIFF, JPEG vs) you are suggesting to use in
project?

2-       Is there any image type that we can read the interested part
without loading it to the memory?

3-       Is there anybody porting GDAL to .NET CF?

Alper Dinçer

Research Assistant

Geodesy and Photogrammetry Division

Civil Engineering Deparment, METU