[Gdal-dev] iODBC drivers for Mac OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jan 10 15:19:31 EST 2006

On Jan 10, 2006, at 1:33 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>> Would it be possible to add an option to the PGEO driver to override
>> the ODBC driver, in case someone (on any platform even) doesn't use
>> an Access driver with the name you have in the source (ie on
>> different platforms and from different authors)?  (Or is it already
>> possible? and how?)
>
> I would be happy to support a "config" option for
> overriding the name of the ODBC driver to use for MDB
> files.  This could then be set via the environment or the
> --config commandline switch.

But, that would still be hardwired into the binary then?  I was
thinking more like in the datasource option in the ogr commands, like
is done for raw ODBC.  This makes it more flexible for an end-user
that downloads a GDAL binary package, to be able to choose ODBC
drivers at runtime.

Something like: either specify a .mdb directly like is is now, or as
PGEO:dsn if one needs to use an alternate ODBC driver.  You could
provide the full range of ODBC options, but I don't know if username
is applicable, or geometry column, but password may be needed also
(tho this Mac Access driver currently doesn't support password
protected MDBs, others may).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro