[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL with JP2KAK

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 5 01:47:17 EDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Greg,
>
> I believe a week or two ago I build and ran GDAL with Kakadu 5.1 on
> MacOS X.
> My configure line looked like:
>
> ./configure --without-libtool --with-xerces=/usr/local
> --with-kakadu=/Users/fwarmerdam/pkg/kakadu-5.1 --with-libtiff=/usr/local
> --with-geotiff=internal --with-threads --with-ecw
>
> I don't *recall* any special issues.
>
> Best regards,

Greg,

I appologis ... it seems I had still been using Kakadu 4.2 without realizing
it.  I found I had to do the following "special" things:

  1) Add -fPIC into the Makefile-Darwin-Altivec-gcc compilation flags (both
     for coresys and apps).

  2) Manually install libkdu.a into /usr/local/lib (or even just move it up
     one directory) so it will be found.

  3) Run ranlib on libkdu.a.

  4) Use GDAL from CVS or manually add kdu_tiff.o and kdu_jpx.o to the
     gdal/frmts/jp2kak/GNUmakefile

With these changes everything seems to be ok.  Keep in mind that
--without-libtool listed above as well when configuring.