[Gdal-dev] Texture mapping on multipatches in shapefiles?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Jul 8 14:51:55 EDT 2006

Roy Kanne ARA/SED wrote:
> I am investigating whether it is possible to add textures to shapefiles
> so that they are mapped to the surfaces of multipatches. I have been
> doing this for layer files exported using the ArcGIS API, but I would
> like to use GDAL to export 3D shapes with textures into shapefiles.

Roy,

I don't know what ArcGIS does to represent textures on multipatches.  But
if you could provide a modest sized example of what the results are like
I might be able to provide suggestions on how it could be accomplished with
GDAL and OGR.  However, there is nothing specific in GDAL/OGR to handle this
now so you would definately end up having to do some sort of customization.