[Gdal-dev] Building on Windows

Matt Hanson mhanson at photon.com
Mon Jul 31 15:53:53 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to compile GDAL using the provided makefile.vc files, and I get the same error right at the beginning.  In doing some google searches I found some posts in the GDAL archive from some chap that had the same problem a couple years ago....that chap turned out to be me!     However, back then I did resolve the issue somehow, but it wasn't resolved with any list help so there's no record of what I did.    This is a different computer, and the newest version of Visual Studio so the fact that I'm the only one to ever have this problem I find rather surprising.   Anyway any suggestions to help me remember what I did?

Much thanks!  Here's the error:

$ nmake -f makefile.vc

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

        cd port
        nmake /nologo /f makefile.vc
        cl /nologo /MD /EHsc /Zi /Fd..\gdal.pdb -I..\port -I..\ogr -I..\gcore  -I..\alg  /c cpl_conv.cpp
cpl_conv.cpp
cpl_conv.cpp(1313) : error C3861: 'snprintf': identifier not found
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\cl.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Matt Hanson

Photon Research Associates, Inc.

A Raytheon Company