[Gdal-dev] Compile GDAL with VS2005 (BuildKit Source Code)

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Wed Jun 14 16:48:46 EDT 2006

At 03:36 PM 6/14/2006, Zhonghai Wang wrote:
>Hi Howard,
>
>thanks you so much for the important HINTS.
>
>so you mean that I must compile all the needed libraries in the
>BuildKit package myself with VS2005? Is this compilation guide still
>valid for the whole compilation?
><http://www.nabble.com/Windows-build-kit-for-MSVC-7.1-t1143108.html#a2997024>http://www.nabble.com/Windows-build-kit-for-MSVC-7.1-t1143108.html#a2997024
> >http://www.nabble.com/Windows-build-kit-for-MSVC-7.1-t1143108.html#a2997024.

It would still be valid if all of the support libs that you need are
also compiled with VS2005.  This can be a challenging and frustrating
task, and it is one of the major reasons why I made the buildkit in
the first place.

>so the steps may be:
>1. compile the required libraries for GDAL (according to the
>component that I need)
>2. compile GDAL
>3. compile the required libraries for MapServer
>4. compile MapServer

yep.

>and here is the last question^_^:
>what does the command "nmake /f <http://makefile.vc>makefile.vc
>install" mean? for this command which parameters in the nmake.opt
>file should be set correctly?

for both GDAL and MapServer, this command just copies the things
you'll want to use (.exe's, .dlls, etc) into a common directory
(..\bin, I think).  It doesn't do anything fancier than that.

Howard