[Gdal-dev] ogrinfo metadata output

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 3 10:19:54 EST 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
>> I use "ogrinfo -so -al -ro <datasourcename>" when I want a "summary only"
>> report of "all layers" in "readonly" mode.
>
> Yes. But it could to so without adding 3 parameters of 3 chars
> each :-) Just for user convenience, it's my wish to see the
> projection metadata stuff immediately (as gdalinfo nicely
> does). Is there a chance for that?

Markus,

Well, obviously it would not be technically difficult to make "-al -so"
the default, but the summary information can be very expensive to
report since it generally requires scanning all the features twice - once
to count and once to collect the extents.  So I am not keen to do this
by default.  I'm not even keen to report the projection information
for each layer since if present it is pretty bulky, and in a dataset
with alot of layers the user would immediately be buried in many pages
of projection reports.  Likely all the same.

So, in this case my position is that I won't make the suggested change
in ogrinfo.  Of course, in the new democratic GDAL/OGR, if you can
convince the rest of the PSC I could be overridden.