[Gdal-dev] gdal warp code silently skipping datum shift

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 17 14:28:18 EST 2006

John Johnson wrote:

>     Potentially I could accomplish this in the
>     OGRCreateCoordinateTransformation()
>     function.  Possibly adding a flag indicating if missing datum shifts
>     should
>     be:
>       - handled as currently (quietly convert just based on ellipsoid)
>

> I understand your desire to be able to preserve existing functionality,
> but would this approach ever give correct results?

John,

Well, it depends.  It might be that the datums are quite similar, or that
the error would be in acceptable tolerances for an application.  For instance,
many modern datums are reasonably close to WGS84.  And some applications,
such as world mapping could care less about datum shift differences.

>      If you would like to file a bug report on this issue, I can try and
>     queue
>     up a work item.
>

> Will do.

Thanks,