[Gdal-dev] gdal_translate image grow

Norman Barker nbarker at rsinc.com
Thu Mar 30 08:22:26 EST 2006

Hi,

I am using gdal_translate as the 'engine' behind mod_python as a very
simple WMS (so that I can prototype a few ideas before putting them into
MapServer), everything works fine until I specify a BBOX such that the
extents are outside that of the requested image.  This corresponds to
the -projwin option of gdal_translate, executing this I then get an
error "-srcwin falls outside of raster size".

Is there a way to grow the output image and fill in the missing data?

So for example

gdal_translate -not_strict -OF PNG -a_nodata 0 -projwin -180 90 180 -90
-outsize 836 654 inputimage outputimage

would give an output image with world extents, and somewhere in this
image would be the inputimage

Alternatively is there a way to do this with the python bindings or any
other utility.  I like gdal_translate since it does the conversion and
sampling in one go!

thanks

Norman