[Gdal-dev] Recommendations for vertical data in GDAL

Ray Gardener rayg at daylongraphics.com
Wed May 3 04:26:16 EDT 2006

Antoine Hue wrote:

 > Without being an expert in this field, I have run into some of these
issues while working on 3D terrain modeling from DEM. I fully support an
initiative to make it more explicit that a layer is a DEM, what is the
unit and pixel interpretation.

 > An extension to this is support for geocentric SRS and warp to/from
geocentric SRS.

I think that could be satisifed by
a) having ORGSpatialRef parse GEOCCS nodes (if it doesn't already),
b) adding an IsGeocentric() method,
c) adding a SetGeocentricCS() method,
b) doing any necessary mods to OGRCoordTransform to use such data when
one or both of its spatialrefs are geocentric, and
c) formalizing the list of avail. geocentric datums.

Ray