[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL/OGR perl interface and CPAN

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Fri May 5 01:23:29 EDT 2006

Anonymous Coward kirjoitti:
> there appears to already be an older (and unmaintained)
> interface on CPAN [1]. any chance of either taking over
> maintainership or including your version on CPAN.  i see you
> actually have some CPAN modules that require ogr/gdal, though
> they are not on CPAN.  that doesn't make much sense.
>
> [1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Geo-GDAL/

I guess this could be done, although as one installs GDAL C library, the
Perl modules can easily be installed too. However, I don't know about
rpm's and such whether they install Perl modules.

Schuyler, I remember you already mentioned somewhere that it's ok for to
replace the old Geo::GDAL with the new swig one? So far we've used the
module names gdalconst, gdal, ogr, and osr, and they are such also in
the new 1.3.2. Would it make sense to prepare different packages for
CPAN? Should there be Geo::GDAL and Geo::OGR or Geo::GDAL::OGR? ... I
hate these decisions, but they are important and difficult to change later.

Would anybody be willing to make this packaging :-)? The scenario could
be: libgdal comes from somewhere but not the Perl modules. The preferred
way would be to install the Perl interface as the Geo::GDAL module from
CPAN and it should find and adjust to the libgdal, i.e. version and
installed options, that is found. There would be only Geo::GDAL as there
is only libgdal (and not libogr for example). There should be Geo::GDAL
release for each gdal release.

Follow-ups only to geo-perl. Is our message to gdal-dev that we'd like
the preferred way for Perl module installation be from CPAN?

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics