[Gdal-dev] Google Earth Data retrieval

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu May 25 15:15:18 EDT 2006

Ivan Lucena wrote:
> If Nikolai wants to put an option in his application that calls
> Google Earth to show the area of interest, it is just an automated
> way to use Google Earth.

Hi Ivan,

I just referenced to Ben's post:

"That said, much like other copyrighted media, if you are using the
extracted images strictly for private, unpublished, noncommercial uses,
you probably won't get prosecuted.  It's still technically illegal, of
course."

and as I understand Nikolai was asking about commercial usage.

> And Google encourage us to do that. I can't see any copyright
> violation. It's just a matter of creating a KML like the following
> and calls GE to show the Placemark (or polygon) with the image
> available at the Google server.
>
> I am glad that you have raised the copyright question but maybe we
> should get in contact with Google and ask what then before investing
>  more of our time in development.

This subject seems to be poorly explained. I tried to find some
substantial information about copyrights and data licensing.
Here is what I found:

Can I post images to the web?
http://earth.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=21422&topic=1141

"You can personally use an image from the application (for example on
your website, on a blog or in a word document) as long as you preserve
the copyrights and attributions including the Google logo attribution.
However, you cannot sell these to others, provide them as part of a
service, or use them in a commercial product such as a book or TV show
without first getting a rights clearance from Google."

I understand it that you can use GE images in non-commercial way,
simply, you can't make a bussiness with GE data.
I also understand that using GE data internally by some company to help
that company to do its job, is also a commercial use.
But I agree, it's not clearly said by Google.

Some posts on Keyhole BBS without any response from Google:

Exporting for use with GIS Software?
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/156758/page/vc/vc/1

Serveral questions re: licensing
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/325100/an/0/page/5

Here is very interesting post on ghe Ogle Earth blog:
http://www.ogleearth.com/2006/05/can_you_use_goo.html

The outcome of this post is:

"This Software is for non-commercial use only and your rights in the
Software are strictly limited to home, personal or recreational use only
by you and not for the benefit of third parties."

but also authors clearly say it's not well-defined by Google, the
subject seems to be ambiguous and direct contact to Google is necessary
I think.

Cheers