[GDAL-DEV] ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" - problem

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri May 26 11:06:18 EDT 2006

abhay menon wrote:
> hello Frank and list,
>
> what i am trying is to split a dataset from oracle in to small unit of
> data as shapefile. for which i am firing a queries in -sql statement
> passing by a unique value base on which the data is to be extract small
> unit from one single layer in oracle.
>
> that why i have created a batch process hence i faced this problem.
>
> is there a option in ogr2ogr where i can spilt the dataset into small
> unit of shapefile in one go.
> as process thru batch is slow and units to create is more than 6000*3
> files in shape.

Abhay,

I'm afraid I am not clear on what you are doing or asking.  Are you
wanting to split a single table in Oracle into many individual shapefiles
based size, or some attribute value?  This would normally require a
distinct ogr2ogr call for each output shapefile produced.

If you wanted to streamline the operation, it would likely be best to look
at writing a python script.

If you are only producing one shapefile at a time currently, you might want
to use the specific shapefile as the output filename instead of the directory
with many shapefiles.  That should avoid the "too many files open" problem.