[Gdal-dev] invalid/no projection information in output TAB format files

Peter Rushforth peter.rushforth at gmail.com
Wed May 31 15:40:47 EDT 2006

Hi,

I sent this message with the data files attached, but it got filtered, as
it was about 600K kb. Sorry.  Anyhow, I am wondering if there is a
problem with the way the gml driver passes either projection or bounding
box info on, which only becomes an issue with the mapinfo (tab) output.

I am testing with fwtools 1.01, which seems to be up to date.
When I convert the nunavut.gml file to tab format with the following command

ogr2ogr -a_srs NAD83 -f "Mapinfo file" test.tab nunavut.gml

I get a tab file which *is* readable, but for which I think there is something
odd about the stored projection info.  When I open test.tab above with
mapinfo 8 pro viewer, I need to perform a view entire layer  operation to
see any data.  The normal behaviour is to zoom to a box somewhere
inside the dataset bounding box, however one sees nothing in the initial
view.

Then, after any operation (eg maximise / resize window), you have
to perform another "view entire layer" operation to see the data.

If you try to view with any other data in the same window, data which
should overlap, you never see anything.

In mapinfo pro 7, it displays the same extent problem, and it crashes
the app when closing from the upper right hand "X" on the window frame.

When I first go to the mid/mif format and then to tab format, thus:
>ogr2ogr -a_srs NAD83 -f "Mapinfo file" -dsco "FORMAT=MIF" test.mif nunavut.gml
>ogr2ogr -f "Mapinfo file"  test2.tab nunavut.gml

The test2.tab file behaves "normally".  Might this might be a problem with the
gml driver not passing something on to the mapinfo driver in certain
circumstances,
specifically when the output is tab format?

Cheers,

Peter