[Gdal-dev] GDAL and Python

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Thu Nov 2 15:41:46 EST 2006

At 02:08 PM 11/2/2006, Christopher Barker wrote:
>Howard Butler wrote:
>>The "old-gen" GDAL bindings do not have support for numpy.  I will
>>be looking into supporting this in the "next-gen" GDAL  Python
>>bindings in the next couple of weeks.
>
>Great to hear! Make sure you keep this list updated for help -- I
>have little time, but would love to help, with testing if nothing else.
>
>Also as a note, that besides specific numpy support, support for the
>"array interface" would be nice -- nothing but num* uses it now, but
>I do think that's changing.

Is the "array interface" something that's hoped to be in Python
proper in the near to distant future?  I'm not aware of what this is...

>By the way, while you're at it, I hope you have a chance to
>re-structure the the python binding are installed. Dumping
>everything into site-packages is pretty messy -- it should all be a
>a single gdal package.

Arranging things into a "package" is something I've wished for GDAL
for quite a while.  The problem is that there are an unknown number
of legacy things out there dependent on gdal.py and ogr.py and the
way they import.  Re-arranging the deck chairs at this point could
cause a lot of misery.  I don't know how we approach this other than
to write and RFC, pass it, and just do it.