[Gdal-dev] Motion: Adopt OSGeo Project Sponsorship Program

Howard Butler hobu at iastate.edu
Mon Nov 6 16:36:34 EST 2006

At 02:52 PM 11/6/2006, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>I vote -0.
>
>I am not completely objected to the idea and won't veto it, but I am
>a bit worried about the impact that having to manage sponsorship
>money can have on the PSC members. I have already explained my point
>of view on this whole sponsorship idea on the mapserver-dev list so
>I won't repeat it here. The thread can be found in the mapserver-dev
>archives at:
>http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Fwd%3A--OSGeo-Discuss--Project-Sponsorship-Proposal-%28call-for-feedback%29-p6104462.html
>
>I realize that the GDAL situation is a bit different since Frank has
>been funding people to do maintenance work on GDAL in the past and
>the hope is probably that sponsorship money can pay for that kind of
>support in the future (which would make complete sense). However, as
>GDAL grows from a benevolent-dictatorship to a PSC-driven project
>the concerns that I expressed about sponsorship vs MapServer will
>also apply to GDAL.

I myself doubt that the OSGeo project sponsorship program will
attract the fire hose of funding that Paul Ramsey speaks of, but it
would be nice to have a garden hose of opportunity available to us.

Fogel makes some great points in his money chapter that you might
find relevant <http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/money.html> and
<http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/contracting.html>.  I discussed
some of these things in my Open Development spiel
<http://hobu.biz/index_html/open-development>.

Howard