[Gdal-dev] Release 1.4.0

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Tue Nov 14 11:58:01 EST 2006

> > What work are people hoping to get into a next GDAL release?

I have one quick question: if we're planning more frequent increments of
the minor version numbers, does that have any impacts on the naming of
the libraries? And beyond that, are we happy with the library naming
scheme we currently use?

It seems that we have rather different approaches on windows and linux.
On windows, the default makefiles incorporate the version number into
the DLL name, so more frequent minor version number changes will mean
more frequent DLL name changes. Probably not a problem since on windows
people typically package the latest version of GDAL along with their
apps. Though what do we do when we reach GDAL 1.10? gdal110.dll?

On linux where it's more common to use a central shared GDAL library, it
seems that we typically don't change the library soname. It's been
libgdal.so.1 for a long time now. I have no idea if the latest GDAL is
actually binary compatible with the earliest version that used that
name. Has that been a problem for anyone?

Anyway, just thinking out loud and wondering if anybody wants to tweak
the current naming scheme. Personally, I'm happy with it as is...

Cheers,

Sy