[Gdal-dev] Multichannel JPEG2000 images

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 11 11:12:10 EDT 2007

Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How well does GDAL support multichannel JPEG2000 images?  It seems not to
> like if some channels have different pixel sizes, but what might happen if I
> first convert all Landsat bands to have the same pixel size and then
> compress all the bands to a single JP2 file.  Can I then pick out any three
> channels I want to composite a colour image?  I would love to try this with
> Mapserver, so that the user could easily select for example 7-4-2 of 4-3-2
> band combinations out of the single JPEG2000 image set without a need to
> make separate physical file sets for each combination.  Another possibility
> might be to build JPEG2000 jpx-files with several codestreams but I think
> that at least those are not supported, by GDAL.

Jukka,

There are four different JPEG2000 drivers in GDAL, but I *think* they all
support any number of channels.  Certainly the JP2KAK driver does.  I'm
not surprised that channels with different resolutions.

With a 7 band/channel JPEG2000 you should be able to select any desired band
combination with MapServer using the PROCESSING "BANDS=7,4,2" line in the
layer.