[Gdal-dev] Proposal for Unified Windows Binaries

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Apr 18 11:40:58 EDT 2007

Simon Perkins wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> This thread seems to have spun wildly out of control.  Mateusz
>> does not have visual studio 2003, so Howard or I will likely do the
>> first round binary builds.
>>
>> At that point someone can do some tests to verify the resulting
>> DLLs work fine with VS2005.
>
> I hate to add any more to this thread then, but in general it's a bad
> idea to mix C runtime versions with visual studio, i.e. if you're
> building your app with VS2005, you may run into problems when using
> libraries compiled with VS2003. In theory, if you're just using the C
> interface, and not doing any memory allocation / deallocation across
> boundaries then you might be OK, but I've had problems even in this
> scenario.
>
> Bit of a mess really.

Simon,

Any way we choose, we have to do first steps and try and test, to see
how things really works.

I've got convinced it's a good idea to start with VC++7.1 and see.
If we will really find problems, we will try to switch to VC++8.0 and,
again, test and see.

This way, we'll collect better observations about
capabilities of both versions.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot