[Gdal-dev] Status Report KML Driver

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Aug 21 08:29:40 EDT 2007

Jens Oberender wrote:
> As requested a status report for the kml driver as of today.
>
> Working:
> - reading and parsing the kml file works
> - the vector part decides about what elements are layers and what features

I tested it and confirm it works well.

> - exporting simple Point layers/features (test with ogr2ogr into a shapefile,
> only names are converted to fields yet)

There are two issues:

1. The features count is not set (0 is reported) but features are listed
correctly:

http://mateusz.loskot.net/tmp/kml/

2. There is some problem with read-only/write-only mode reported from
ogrinfo (see files linked above)

> Not yet implemented:
> - exporting LineString and Polygon

I think this is of priority 1 (highest).

> - export with filters

IMO, this one is of priority 3.

> - exporting more tags as fields

and here I'd set priority 2.

> - get the layer extend

I think you mean spatial extent.
This should be quite easy to implement.

> - special case handling (GeometryCollections)

Priority 4

Great!

> now the data can be handled and special cases need to
> be detected and shipped around. I would guess about one week of work to
> finish that.

OK.
>From my point of view, there is no problem to continue the work
in next weeks if you need.

> Future:
> The base (KML class) is written, so writing a child for rasters (analog to the
> KMLvector class) shouldn't be too hard.

OK.

Jens, this all looks great.
Thank you very much for your hard work!