[gdal-dev] Release Commit Restrictions

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 11 01:19:03 EST 2007

GDAL Developers,

With GDAL Beta2 released, I would like to put in place some temporary
restrictions on commits to GDAL trunk.

1) No code or build structure commit without an associated Trac ticket.
    The ticket should be referenced in the commit message as we normally do.
    Documentation and test suite changes do not have this restriction.

2) This is the wrong time to tidy up the source tree.  ie. the wrong time for
    fixing warnings just for neatness sake, or re-indenting code, or making
    configure message strings line up nicely.

3) Please contact me about any changes you want to make that you are in any
    way not confident about.  And if you are confident, are you sure you should?
    I'd like an opportunity to defer activity that I consider risky and of low
    value till after the 1.5.0 release.

4) No public API or ABI changes without consulting with me first.

Basically we should be applying the sort of restrictions that would apply
in a stable branch until the release candidate is cut at which point I'll
branch 1.5 and we can go nuts in trunk again.