[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.5.0 Beta2 Released

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 12 13:01:35 EST 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:

> The problem is the new 64bit stuff in leopard.  I first started with one
> build for Tiger & Leopard.  This is a lot of work - build 32bit
> universal with the 10.4 SDK, build 64bit universal with the 10.5 SDK,
> lipo the two together for a quad-arch binary (and make sure I don't miss
> any in a complex package).

yup -- this sounds like a lot of work. Is there really any demand for 64
bit? If so, it's great that you're doing it.

> Then, on install, for Tiger strip out the 64bit parts.  I found a
> annoying trap on Tiger - it has limited 64bit support (but not enough
> for GDAL and most of the other frameworks), and will try to run 64bit
> binaries on 64bit processors, which will usually fail.

right, which is why most of us just stick with 32 bit for now.

Anyway, as long as you're supporting 32 bit universal builds that work
on 10.4 -- I'm happy, and most of your users should be happy.

thanks for all this,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov