[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.5.0 Beta2 Released

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 11 14:15:21 EST 2007

William Kyngesburye wrote:
> I wonder if just a site link can be added to pypi for the available
> binaries for mine? (I'll have b2 ready soon, b1 is built)

That would be nice.

> I can look into repackaging it standalone, probably one egg for
> Leopard/Python 2.5 and two installers for Tiger/Python 2.5 and
> Leopard/python 2.5.

I'm confused. What's the difference between Leopard/Python 2.5 and
Leopard/python 2.5?

> No egg for Tiger/Python 2.5 since setuptools isn't standard there.

You can still use it there, though.

In any case, that's a lot of options -- I'd just build one that is
compatible with the Python2.5 Universal Framework Build that runs on
10.4 and 10.5 (and I think even 10.3.9). Others are gravy, but there
really are two darn many pythons on OS-X! I don't think you lose
anything by using that Python -- except having to install it, but it's
never really worked well to try to use Apple's Python -- most of us have
simply given up.

> But since the python bindings are closely tied to the GDAL version, and
> in my builds to the OSX version, this may be more hassle than it's worth

Well, that's a bit of a trick. The standard approach is to build eggs
with the dependencies statically linked -- so it's just one thing to
install, and it "just works". I assume this is what the Windows ones do.
I don't think you can have an egg depend on a non-python thing like a
Framework -- it makes you miss Linux packages systems....

> (it's already installed along with the framework in an easy to use
> installer package).

Your various Framework installers are pretty nice -- maybe a link to
them would be fine.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov