[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.5.0 Beta2 Released

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Dec 11 15:23:20 EST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

>> I can look into repackaging it standalone, probably one egg for
>> Leopard/Python 2.5 and two installers for Tiger/Python 2.5 and
>> Leopard/python 2.5.
>
> I'm confused. What's the difference between Leopard/Python 2.5 and
> Leopard/python 2.5?

You mean Tiger and Leopard, right?  For Tiger, my build is for the
universal Python 2.5.  For Leopard, my build is for the Apple-included
Python 2.5.

>> In any case, that's a lot of options -- I'd just build one that is
>> compatible with the Python2.5 Universal Framework Build that runs
>> on 10.4 and 10.5 (and I think even 10.3.9).

It's not only a split of Universal Python vs. Leopard Python, but also
a purely Tiger/Leopard issue.  I went the route of building explicitly
and separately for each system version.  It's easier to compile that
way, and to install.

>> Others are gravy, but there really are two darn many pythons on OS-
>> X! I don't think you lose anything by using that Python -- except
>> having to install it, but it's never really worked well to try to
>> use Apple's Python -- most of us have simply given up.

I'm not sure what the problem is with Leopard's Python, if any.  There
was some debate about it on the python list, but I don't remember any
serious real issues (but then, a lot of the extensions that were
discussed aren't of interest to me).  I trust Apple to stay with
Python 2.5 thru the life of the OS version and not break things with a
future 2.6 switch, and to fix current problems.  It looks to me like
their python binaries are more than just something for the system to
use (as supposed by many python users), and meant for people to run
complex Python applications on.

I guess I'll see what happens when I try the GRASS python GUI on
Leopard...

>> But since the python bindings are closely tied to the GDAL version,
>> and in my builds to the OSX version, this may be more hassle than
>> it's worth
>
> Well, that's a bit of a trick. The standard approach is to build
> eggs with the dependencies statically linked -- so it's just one
> thing to install, and it "just works". I assume this is what the
> Windows ones do. I don't think you can have an egg depend on a non-
> python thing like a Framework -- it makes you miss Linux packages
> systems....

Actually, the windows eggs DO need an external gdal.  250K is way too
small for the GDAL library, and there was a message on the list saying
that the gdal dll is needed.  And there are a lot of support files
that aren't built into the egg.  Not to mention format plugins and
MANY dependencies that would bloat the python binaries.

It's the libraries (.so) in the egg that depend on the libraries, not
the python scripts.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

The equator is so long, it could encircle the earth completely once.