[gdal-dev] Building Gdal 1.5 beta on a 64 bit system

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 12 16:47:50 EST 2007

Steve Popovich wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
> Are you possibly using an external libtiff?
>
> Yes I was. I rebuilt with ./configure --without-libtool --with-python --with-libtiff=internal
> and the autotest results were:

Steve,

I doubt the above is significant.  I think the autotest is just a bit out of
sync with the 1.4 branch behavior.

> I'm new to this environment and never did a trac ticket so I'll have to look into it.
> For now I'll try to add a little more info.
> I built gdal-1.4.4 with a standard devel installation on openSuse10.2 x86_64.
> This is the first time I tried to build something and had to install extra deps.
> The first link error was with LibSM.la. I had that file in /usr/lib64 but not /usr/lib
> I installed xorg-x11-libSM-devel-32bit and got past that link error only to fail at the next.

It is not at all clear to me why GDAL would have a dependency on X11 stuff
like libSM.  BTW, were you deliberately trying to build 32bit executables?
I also don't understand why 32bit versions of stuff would be needed.

> I then installed all the x11-devel-32bit files and then failed linking to libidn.
> openSuse10.2 does not have a 32bit devel package for libidn so I gave up.
> That is when I configured --without-libtool and everything worked.
> This is the first time in all the pkgs I built over the last 4 years that I had to build
> with the --without-libtool option. As you can
>  see from above that it works but is this
> acceptable or is something wrong with libtool creation?

When things get messy, I build --without-libtool.  It works fine in
normal situations, but it seems fragile.  (IMHO)