[gdal-dev] Tutorials

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Dec 17 12:50:06 EST 2007

Chris Howell wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> As a long time user of GDAL professionally, it's a great product. The
> wiki & trac that came online recently is great. Today I am writing about
> Tutorials for a long time I've wanted to know how to do something with
> GDAL or FWTools and the documentation is some what lacking. I've noticed
> that the mailing list is great however sometimes it's a slow down for a
> developer (Such as myself) waiting for a  response from the mailing
> list. I was wondering if I wrote up a bunch of tutorials on the GDAL
> Wiki over the Christmas holidays if that would be useful or if I'd be
> stepping on someone's toes, or if it's already out there and I am just
> having some trouble finding it. Anyway  comments very much appreciated.

Chris,

Developer oriented tutorials in the wiki would be fantastic.  There are
some tutorials at:

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_tutorial.html
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_drivertut.html
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_apitut.html
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/osr_tutorial.html
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_drivertut.html

The best value would be tutorials that fill in holes around these.  A
tutorial index page would also be of help.

If you drop a line to gdal-dev as you make significant progress on tutorials,
others (myself too when I have network access) can provide some feedback.