[gdal-dev] HDF-EOS vs. GDAL: order of dimensions

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Tue Dec 18 10:07:08 EST 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 09:02:16AM -0500, Lucena, Ivan wrote:
> Can we add the user-defined dimension request to the end of the
> subdataset name string?
>
> HDF4_SDS:subdataset_type:file_name:subdataset_index:user-defined-dimension
>
> Ex:
>
> gdalinfo HDF4_SDS:MODIS_L1B:my-hdf-file.hdf:2:134x2040
>
> That will not require any changes in the GDALOpen() API.

Personally I do not like this way. We already discussed the idea of
separate option vs. filename encoding in regard to OGROpen() call and it
also applies here. Though it seems I have not succeeded in convincing
everyone that we should add open parameters to our open calls.

There is my thoughts on this topic:

 http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2007-November/014840.html

Note, that we already have format identification function in GDAL, so it
applies only for OGR. Open options addition should apply both for GDAL
and OGR.

Also I think it will be quite hard (or even impossible) to solve all HDF
issues without user control.

Best regards,
Andrey

--