[gdal-dev] GDAL linking problems looking for libjpeg.

John Helly hellyj at ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 26 21:11:46 EST 2007

I'm building GDAL 1.4.4 on OS X Leopard and have all the requisite
libraries installed in /usr/local/xxx where xxx is the relevant
library.  I've successfully built GDAL previously a number of times
but this time am adding Python support.  I'm using the following bash
script to do the configure:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gdal-1.4.4 \
   --libdir=/usr/local/lib \
   --with-netcdf=/usr/local/netcdf-3.6.1  \
   --with-jpeg=/usr/local/internal \
   --with-png=/usr/local/lib \
   --with-libtiff=/usr/local/lib \
   --with-geotiff=/usr/local/lib \
   --with-geos=yes \
   --with-perl            \
   --with-php             \
   --with-ruby            \

The make gets quite a long way through the build but then I run into
this odd reference to libjpeg.62.0.0.dylib that actually exists in /
usr/local/lib but the compiler/linker doesn't seem to be able to find
it and I'm having difficulty understanding why and how to work around
it.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

John Helly, University of California, San Diego
San Diego Supercomputer Center 9500 Gilman Dr. Mail Code 0527, La
Jolla CA 92093-0505
Phone: Voice +01 760 840 8660 mobile / stonesteps (Skype) /
stonesteps7 (iChat)