[Gdal-dev] ArcSDE Support in GDAL/OGR

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Tue Jul 3 16:34:39 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm interested in ArcSDE read / write support in both GDAL  and OGR. I
see that there is SDE reading listed on the OGR page, but no mention on
the GDAL page - though there is a frmts/sde directory in GDAL, so I'm
guessing the formats page is out of date? I also saw Howard Butler's
post from last year describing ArcSDE read support, so I'm guessing that
GDAL has read support for both vectors and rasters? Are they both fairly
functional?

My company has a need for write access in both GDAL and OGR in addition.
Would anyone out there, e.g. Howard, be interested in adding this, if we
sponsored it?

Cheers,

Simon

P.S. Frank: we'd talked earlier about sponsoring a Oracle Spatial
GeoRaster driver, but, after some debate, I think we're going to use
ArcSDE instead. Oracle Spatial just gets too expensive since it's only
available as an option on the enterprise database (at about $40k a
processor).