[Gdal-dev] Surfer binary grids support

Ionut Iordache ionut at berkeley.edu
Fri Jun 15 15:31:48 EDT 2007

Frank,
Thank you for the very quick and informative response!
I'll give GDAL 1.5 under FWTools a try.

Best regards,
    Ionut Iordache

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Ionut Iordache wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I'm trying to use GDAL under Solaris 8 to convert Surfer 8 binary
>> grids (or even ASCII) to ArcInfo floating point grids (.hdr and .flt
>> files).
>> I don't know whether the Surfer 7 format (GS7BG, advertised as
>> supported for reading in GDAL) is the same as what Surfer 8 outputs,
>> but I wanted give it a shot.
>> My problem is that I can't find support for any of the Surfer grids
>> formats in the downloaded version of the GDAL 1.4.1.0 source code.
>> The directory "gdal/frmts/gsg" is simply missing from the source tree
>> and after compiling and installing from source, "--formats" doesn't
>> list any Surfer formats as being supported.
>>
>> So, my question is two-fold:
>> - what version of the GDAL source code I need to download in order to
>> get the Surfer driver code, and
>> - does anyone know if my Surfer 8 binary grids would be readable by
>> the GS7BG driver ?
>
> Ionut,
>
> I'm not too knowledgable about this driver, but I believe it is only
> in GDAL 1.5 (aka the development version).
>
> You can test them quickly using the FWTools builds for linux or windows
> which are built from the development trunk.
>
> You can also grab snapshots of the development source (trunk) from:
>
>   http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/daily
>
> Best regards,

Dorel Ionut Iordache <diordache at berkeley.edu>
National Center for Airborne Laser Mapping and
Department of Earth & Planetary Science,
University of California Berkeley

Tel: (510) 642-3991 Fax: (510) 643-9980
Address: 371 McCone Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
http://ncalm.berkeley.edu
http://eps.berkeley.edu