[Gdal-dev] How can I translate a DBF (of a shapefile) into a non-Roman language?

Alex Quinn senorsaru at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 22 17:48:00 EDT 2007

Hello,

We're trying to make a online world map that is
multilingual.  Ultimately, you'll be able to select a
language and have all the country names change to any
of 7 languages, specifically Arabic, Chinese, English,
French, Portugese, Russian, and Spanish.  For the time
being, we're using a shapefile.  Some other format
would be fine, as long as MapServer and either ArcMap
or QuantumGIS can read it.

Is there any way I can use GDAL to programmatically
add the translations to the DBF file?

Is there some other tool that would be better?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

http://www.worlddigitallibrary.org/project/english/about/