[Gdal-dev] ogrinfo *.mdb (Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN...)

Yolan yolan at mlug.missouri.edu
Wed Mar 14 12:01:41 EDT 2007

Hi, I'm trying to read/convert an ESRI mdb to a set of shape files and
later GML. The problem I'm having is that ogrinfo and ogr2ogr cannot
read the mdb. The exact error can be found below. I've done quite a bit
of digging and found that the current version of mdbtools may not work
properly. I ended up trying several versions of mdbtools including the
latest from cvs. With the latest version from cvs, I can export all of
the mdb out to a set of csv files and a schema sql file, but still no
luck with ogr2ogr or ogrinfo.

The messages I've referenced:
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2006-May/009075.html
http://www.arcknowledge.com/gmane.comp.gis.qgis.devel/2006-10/msg00043.html
http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2006-May/009075.html

The exact errors/commands entered:
user at host $ ogrinfo ImpactMap.mdb
ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=ImpactMap.mdb,
[unixODBC]Could not find DSN in connect string
ERROR 1: Unable to initialize ODBC connection to DSN for
DRIVER=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=ImpactMap.mdb,
[unixODBC]Could not find DSN in connect string
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `ImpactMap.mdb' with the following drivers.
  -> ESRI Shapefile
  -> MapInfo File
  -> UK .NTF
  -> SDTS
  -> TIGER
  -> S57
  -> DGN
  -> VRT
  -> AVCBin
  -> REC
  -> Memory
  -> CSV
  -> GML
  -> KML
  -> Interlis 1
  -> Interlis 2
  -> ODBC
  -> PGeo
  -> PostgreSQL

user at host $ ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" ~/maps/ ImpactMap.mdb
[...]

Thanks,
Yolan