[Gdal-dev] How to debug

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat May 5 19:08:04 EDT 2007

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I downloaded the gdal-1.4.0 tarball and copied nearblack.cpp and the
> GNUmakefile changes needed for it. I can compile it but the executable
> is a libtool shell script. How can I get an executable that I can run in
> gdb?
>
> I assume I can "make install" it but I don't want to do that until I
> have tested and debugged it.

Steve,

First, keep in mind you need to set the CFG environment variable to
"debug" to get GDAL to build with debug info (ie. add -g to cflags).

Second, you can do "gdb .libs/nearblack" to use the actual executable
with the debugger.

Third, you can instead configure using --without-libtool and build
to avoid the libtool indirection shell scripts.