[Gdal-dev] translating HDF4 to netCDF, HDF in --formats, but translate says "unsupported"

Andrey Kiselev dron at ak4719.spb.edu
Thu Oct 4 06:00:04 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 11:50:45AM -0500, Edward Fialkowski wrote:
> Hey thanks for that link, it helps out a lot.  Unfortunately, I don't
> see any SUBDATASET_n_NAME metadata printed out.
>
> Here's my output:
> [edfialk at niceguy apps]$ ./gdalinfo no2track20060101.hdf
> Driver: HDF4/Hierarchical Data Format Release 4
> Size is 512, 512
> Coordinate System is `'
> Metadata:
>   Authors=H.J. Eskes, K.F. Boersma
>   Affiliation=KNMI (Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute)
>   Email=eskes at knmi.nl , boersma at knmi.nl
>   Data_created_by=TM4-NO2A, version 1.04 (TM4 at 2x3 deg)
>   Creation_date= 2 Jun 2006
>   Unit_of_NO2_column=1e15 molecules/cm2
> Corner Coordinates:
> Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
> Lower Left  (    0.0,  512.0)
> Upper Right (  512.0,    0.0)
> Lower Right (  512.0,  512.0)
> Center      (  256.0,  256.0)
>
> I put this file (19 megs) up at http://niceguy.wustl.edu/no2track.hdf
> just in case.
>
> So, I can see now how it has no bands, I think.  I'm not sure how to
> get at these subdatasets, if there are any, so what do you think I
> should do?

Ed,

That dataset does not contain data suitable for representation in raster
form. It just contains a number of 1D VData arrays and GDAL can't handle
them.

Note that HDF is a format for arbitary data storage and GDAL is a raster
processing library. We can't represent 1- or 4-dimensional data arrays
from arbitrary HDF file, we only working with data that fits our raster
model, other parts of info will be skipped.

If you really need to extract everything that HDF file can contain I am
recommending some HDF-specific utility (hdflook, hdfview, etc.), only in
this case you will get access to every piece of information in the file.

Best regards,
Andrey

--
Andrey V. Kiselev