[Gdal-dev] Turn off the old-gen Python bindings in trunk

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 15:03:09 EDT 2007

All,

It is expected that we will be using the next-gen Python bindings by
default in the upcoming GDAL 1.5 release.  As we prepare for the
release, similar to turning on the metadata stuff, I would like to
turn off building the old-gen Python bindings by default and switch
to using the next-gen bindings.  I am looking for feedback on doing
so because there might be some consequences:

- The next-gen bindings are still missing a few methods, but their
coverage is fairly complete.  For certain scripts, this will cause a
problem (the missing bits are in some raster operations).  It is
hoped that we will clean most of these issues up before release time.
- The next-gen bindings use setuptools/distutils for building.  This
means Python eggs (if you have setuptools installed) and typical
setup.py operations.  It is quite different than the hand-built model
we used with ./pymod.
- Building the next-gen bindings in-place with libtool is slightly
problematic currently.  It is hoped that wider testing will allow us
to hammer out some of these issues.
- As I stated in a previous email, we now have things in an 'osgeo'
namespace in the next-gen bindings, but the old imports like 'import
gdal' still continue to work with a deprecation warning.  For future
developments, use 'from osgeo import gdal', etc.

Howard