[Gdal-dev] Turn off the old-gen Python bindings in trunk

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Oct 5 18:07:08 EDT 2007

Christopher Barker wrote:
>> Or will
>> there still be a need to compile gdal first, install FWTools
>
> Frank, are you open to a little re-arranging of FWTools to play better
> with a stock python? It would be nice if the above requested simple
> installer was simply one piece of FWTools.

Chris,

I don't think it would be prudent to see FWTools as a solution for this
particular problem.  First, FWTools is bound to the old bindings for the
time being (because they are needed by OpenEV).  Second, I'm afraid of change
and complexity and FWTools is already near the bounds of my ability to produce
it as a minor sideline.

I am in favor of us producing an easily and naturally installable Python
package for win32 that corresponds with our stable release binaries, as long
as there is someone willing to step up to the plate for that portion of the
work.