[Gdal-dev] Re: Turn off the old-gen Python bindings in trunk

WolfgangZ wollez at gmx.net
Sat Oct 6 05:07:46 EDT 2007

Christopher Barker schrieb:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> Christopher Barker wrote:
>>> Frank, are you open to a little re-arranging of FWTools to play
>>> better with a stock python?
>
>> I don't think it would be prudent to see FWTools as a solution for this
>> particular problem.
>
> I was actually thinking it a bit like the other way around -- once we
> have a nice Windows installer, FWtools could use it.
>
>> First, FWTools is bound to the old bindings for the
>> time being (because they are needed by OpenEV).
>
> Ah -- yes, keeping that in sync is critical.
>
>> Second, I'm afraid of change and complexity and FWTools is already
>> near the bounds of my ability to  produce it as a minor sideline.
>
> Fair enough -- I actually think this could make it easier, but any
> change is work, no doubt about it. maybe keep it in mind if you need to
> make changes in the future anyway, like if OpenEV upgrades, etc.
>
>> I am in favor of us producing an easily and naturally installable Python
>> package for win32 that corresponds with our stable release binaries,
>> as long as there is someone willing to step up to the plate for that
>> portion of the
>> work.
>
> I hope someone will -- I'll keep trying to get a build environment
> working on Windows -- but it's just easier for me on OS-X and Linux, so
> I don't know if I'll get to it. If I do, I'll put together the binaries.
>
> -Chris

I also would like to try compiling gdal for Python 2.5. But some
questions remain:

- what compiler to use (I think you can get the Intel Compiler for free
in case of non commercial use)
- do optional formats (like ecw, jp2kak,...) require additional
sourcecode or is everything needed already included in gdal

Regards
Wolfgang